BRIEF HISTORY & GLORY OF IRI, ROORKEE
Irrigation Research Institute(IRI) was established to carry out Research and Development work under the aegis of the U. P. Irrigation Department in the year 1928 as a small research unit in Lucknow.
The success of this small unit was duly acknowledged and in 1945 activities were expanded. The expanded unit was shifted to Bahadarabad (Roorkee) in 1946, where facilities in abundance were available for the physical modeling of hydraulic structures.
The research unit at Roorkee rose to a full fledged Institute in 1954. The Institute gradually developed into a pioneer research station and is now engaged in research and development activities for many hydropower and water resources projects in India. IRI is represented in advisory capacity on several national technical committees of BIS, CBI&P, IRC and MOST.
The Institute maintain a close liaison with several technical committees of Water Resources Development Council (WRDC), BIS, Manak Bhawan, New Delhi, Departments of Civil Engineering, Water Resources Development and Management (WRD&M), and Alternate Hydro Energy Centre (AHEC), Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee, Central Board of Irrigation and Power, New Delhi, National Institute of Hydrology, Roorkee, Central Building Research Institute, Roorkee, State Engineers Academy, Kalagarh, etc. in its research activities.